Experienced Tax Staff
Summary of Responsibilities
Performs a wide variety of diversified accounting and tax assignments under the supervision of different professionals at various levels. Applies accounting knowledge in an appropriate manner for level and displays and ability to meet time constraints. When unusual problems arise, outlines them for the supervisor and seeks guidance on correct course of action.
- Effectively communicates with clients to receive information necessary to complete the engagement with a minimum of disruption to clients.
- Understands the rules, regulations, and Code of Professional Conduct of the AICPA.
- Attends and participates in professional education including in-house industry group meetings and in professionally sponsored training sessions.
- Progresses professionally by working toward passing the CPA exam as soon as possible.
- Uses the firm’s software programs to automate the process from trial balance, financial statement, and the tax return. This may include using technology to link client’s software with the firm’s.
- Reconciles client records to trial balance, which may include analytical procedures, and performs schedule computations of prepaids, accruals, property, and equipment, and calculates depreciation expense.
- Performs other accounting, tax, and consulting duties as needed in engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel.
- Prepares orderly workpapers in electronic format that document processes.
- Expected to read industry-specific journals.
- May train other staff accountants.
- Involved in industry-specific group meetings.
- Becomes familiar with pertinent IRC sections and regulations.
- Obtains a working knowledge of research techniques and the various research sources in the firm library.
- Becomes proficient in the preparation of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary, and other tax returns prepared by the firm.
- Assumes responsibility for the completion of tax returns under the supervision of more experienced professionals.
- Prepares increasingly complex tax returns.
- After two busy seasons, reviews some simple returns and/or parts of more complex returns.
- Crosschecks tax return data entry of others.
- Performs more complex accounting and bookkeeping work in conjunction with preparing tax returns.
- Proficient at utilizing QuickBooks.
- Assists in tax planning and compliance projects by preparing various analyses and schedules of information.
- Ability to perform simple to intermediate tax research and document results.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Requires the ability to work overtime, as necessary, in order to meet client imposed and/or government mandated filing deadlines.
- Requires the ability to meet the demands of a fast paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Requires the ability to manage multiple and conflicting tasks requiring excellent organization and task prioritization skills.
- Requires the ability to use diplomacy when interacting with co-workers, superiors and clients.
- Requires the ability to remain sedentary; only occasional walking and standing are required.
- The noise level in the office environment is moderate (office equipment, telephones, etc.).
- Mastered responsibilities and position requirements of Tax Staff.
- Minimum of 6 to 18 months full-time experience (including normal overtime requirements) having worked at least two busy seasons while demonstrating a progression in complexity of accounting tasks.
- Possesses CPA certification or is continuing to work toward certification (including 150 hour requirement).
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or master’s degree in accounting.
- Minimum of 40 hours of continuing professional education is required each year.
- Proficiency with computer, spreadsheet software program, and calculator.
- Well-rounded knowledge of accounting principles and income taxes.
- Strong communication (written and oral), organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English.
- Either holds a current and valid certified public accountant’s license, or is working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA exam.